Legalizations and Apostilles - Precision Corporate Services, Inc.

Services > Legalizations and Apostilles

Legalizations and Apostilles

Obtaining or sending documents for use abroad? You may need to obtain document legalization or an Apostille certificate in order to render your documents acceptable for use on foreign soil. Precision Corporate Services, Inc. routinely coordinates obtaining legalizations and Apostilles.

Avoid unnecessary delays and expenses by having your documents handled by the competent professionals at PCS !

Apostille certification applies to public documents for which the issuing country and the destination country are both party to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961, Abolishing the Requirement for Legalization of Foreign Public Documents. An Apostille in effect certifies that the notarization by a public notary or certification by a state agency (such as Secretary of State) is legitimate and that the certifying/notarizing party is licensed and authorized to issue such certification or notarization. Once a qualified document has an Apostille affixed, it is ready to be shipped and utilized in the destination country.

Legalization of certain public documents is required when one of the involved countries is not party to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961. Legalization involves additional steps and is more time consuming and costly than obtaining an Apostille. Legalization procedures vary depending upon the destination country, but generally involve obtaining a certification of the applicable notary or Secretary of State signature (similar to an Apostille), followed by a legalization procedure performed by the Embassy or Consular office of the destination country.

Some useful links pertaining to Apostilles and the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961.

Apostille section of Hague Conference

Contracting States Status Table

Contracting Parties List

How to read status table

Additional Information pertaining to Apostilles

Massachusetts Notarization Standards & Language


PCS does not provide legal advice.